attorney at law

Child Custody And Support Modifications

Circumstances and finances can change, and the child custody and support order that worked for you and your ex in the past may no longer work today. While you and your spouse could make a verbal or written agreement on your own, that agreement would not be enforceable by the court. Legally, your old court order would remain in effect, and either side could choose to enforce it.

I am family law attorney Kathryn N. Hedden. My law office is in Cumming, Georgia, and I help men and women in Forsyth County and neighboring counties in metro Atlanta obtain legal modifications of custody and support orders. I can also help you enforce an existing agreement if your ex is not following it.

When Can I Change Child Custody Or Support?

After you have obtained your initial child custody and support orders, you can seek one modification if you have a major change in circumstances. To obtain a modification, you would return to the same family law court that issued your initial child custody and support orders.

After obtaining one modification, you are generally limited to one modification every two years. There are exceptions, and you should seek a lawyer's advice to determine if your circumstances would warrant an exception.

What Is A Major Change In Circumstances?

A major change in circumstances means you have a compelling reason to change your child custody or support order. Here are some examples of major changes in circumstances:

For More Information About Child Custody And Support Modifications

I welcome the opportunity to answer your questions about modifications and enforcement of child support and custody orders. Call (770) 755-5695 or email me to meet with an attorney who puts your relationship with your children first.